It is essential to have good food hygiene if you are making food to sell or consume on your premises. Good food hygiene is concerned with reducing or eliminating bacteria.
The benefits of good food hygiene practice can be listed as follows:
- Prevents serious illness
- Reduces cost by preventing food spoilage.
- Reduces the risk of cross contamination.
- Promotes a safe working environment.
- Helps pest control.
- Provides a good image for your business.
- Complies with legal requirements.
- Cleaning and disinfecting work surfaces, chopping boards and equipment before food preparation commences will stop bacteria spreading on to food.
Medentech offers both food surface disinfection tablets and fruit & veg (salads) disinfection tablets.
Some simple steps to follow for good food hygiene
- Ensure those handling food, thoroughly wash and dry their hands before touching food.
- Clean and disinfect food areas between different food preparations.
- Keep raw food separately.
- Clear and clean as you go to avoid exposure to bacteria. Clean up spills and clear away unused equipment to avoid splashes and contamination.
- Use a disinfectant, (such as Klorsept) suitable to kill the microrganisms common in kitchens and catering settings.
Store cleaning and disinfectants in a safe place and read the label before use.